Damon, Lewis House
Greek Revival, Italianate
Single Family Dwelling House
Bridgewater Town Center
Massachusetts Historical Commission Report
This substantial house represents an interesting marriage of Greek Revival volume with Italianate elements. Possessing a rectangular, center hall plan its 5-bay main facade faces a cul de sac known as Porter Place—a wide 4 bay end wall gable with pedimented attic faces South St. Salient features include an Intalianate entrance porch with champfered posts and bracketed roof. Hammered granite steps lead to the front door. The attic exhibits a Palladian-like window configuration. To the rear of the house is a 2 story ell.
Built c. 1845, this house first appears (unlabeled) on the 1852 map. The 1857 map indicates that Lewis Damon owned this property. Mr. Damon manufactured hollow augers—these were used for tenoning wheel spokes. It remained in the Damon family until at least c. 1880. By the early 1900s Harlan P. Shaw owned this property. For many years he was a teacher at the Bridgewater Normal School, developing courses in chemistry, physiography and general science as well as mineralogy. He held offices in the town over a period of years including School Committee, 1911-1923 and the planning board 1929-30. He was also a house builder and real estate dealer. He died in Bridgewater in 1940.