Winslow - Copeland House
490 Plymouth St
Single Family Dwelling House
Massachusetts Historical Commission Report
Architecturally, the house is significant as a Federal farm house with unusually sophisticated swap detailing on the main facade freize board. Its 5-bay main facade is symmetrically arranged around an enclosed projecting entrance with Doric pilasters at the entrance way's corners. Windows are simply enframed (2 bayside walls) and contain 6/6 wood sash. This house is enclosed by a broad hip roof with a substantial brick center chimney. Extending from the rear of this house, eastward is a long, low, 1-story shed with windows containing 15/15 wood sash--further research is needed to determine if this shed had a specific use related to a trade or an aspect of farming. (Probate records might shed light on its function).
This house has been traditionally (and apparently correctly) dated c. 1811. The 1830 map indicates that an R. Winslow owned this property. By the 1870's Asa Copeland, an employee of Bates, Hyde and Co., manufacturers of cotton gins, lived here. The Bates, Hyde plant was located on Pearl St., adjacent to the old colony R. R. tracks. By 1903 an A. Copeland, "wood" (dealer?) lived here. Plymouth-Hayward Sts. was set out c. 1690.