Bassett - Hooper House
350 Plymouth St
Single Family Dwelling House
Massachusetts Historical Commission Report
This is a relatively substantial center hall plan late Georgian/Federal frame vernacular house which dates to c. 1810. To the rear is a 2-story ell. Windows contain 6/6 wood sash. It is enclosed by a broad gable roof.
This house was built c. 1750-1770—apparently for a branch of the Bassett family—a P. Bassett lived here during the early 1830s. By c. 1835, Mitchell Hooper owned this house. Born in 1808, he founded M. Hooper & Co., a brick manufacturing concern, in 1829. By the mid 19th century he manufactured up to four million bricks per year. His brick yards were located to the west—stretching from Plymouth St. to the Town River. Mr. Mitchell was a representative in the State Legislature in 1861 and was "treasurer and liberal supporter of the First Congregational Church". Mr. Mitchell's son George carried on the family's brick business until at least the early 1900s. The 1903 atlas shows this L-plan house attached to a brick stable.