Britton - Cunningham House
1185 Pleasant St
Single Family Dwelling House
Massachusetts Historical Commission Report
This is a 2 1/2 story Italianate frame vernacular dwelling. Interms of scale and detailing it is less substantial than its Bridgewater center stylistic counterparts. Possessing a rectangular, 5-bay x 2-bay form, its front door features a bracketed door hood. It is enclosed by a gable roof.
This house was built between 1852-1857. Apparently, its first owner was a Mrs. Britton. Subsequent owners included Patrick Cunningham, farmer and members of the Alger Family. To the west of this house is a stream which is the traditional western boundary of the village of Scotland. Pleasant St. was laid out as early as 1702.