Leach, Franklin House
1002 Pleasant St
Single Family Dwelling House
Massachusetts Historical Commission Report
This is a solid, well crafted example of a late Federal Bridgewater house. It consists of a 2 1/2 story, square, side hall-plan (main entrance on west facade) main block with a 2 1/2 story rear ell. The main entrance features side lights, pannelled Doric pilasters, transom with deep cornice. Windows exhibit rectangular panel lintels and contain 6/6 wood sash. A tall chimney projects from the steeply pitched west roof slope.
Built in 1832, this house has significant local historical associations with Franklin Leach, village of Scotland carpenter and farmer. Born in Scotland (Bridgewater) Jan. 14, 1809, he learned his father's carpenter trade. Initially employed by his father, Apollos, he worked for many years in the Southeastern, MA building trades with his brother Philo— examples of their work are located in New Bedford, Fairhaven, Raynham, Taunton, Holbrook, Brockton and Boston, as well as Bridgewater. He was employed for several years in a Bridgewater cotton gin works. He was commissioned a colonel in the local militia on Dec. 13, 1838. For many years he was a justice of the peace. He belonged to numerous local social and civic organizations and served as a warden, vestryman and trustee of the Trinitarian Church, next door. He and his wife Mary Fobes Leach celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary in this house on Nov. 13, 1882. By the early 1900's an Alfred Cross, farmer, owned this house.