Conant - Bassett - Rhoade House
7 Crescent St
Agricultural, Single Family Dwelling House
Bridgewater Town Center
Massachusetts Historical Commission Report
This Greek Revival, Italianate house is composed of a 1 1/2 story side hall main block, 1 story rear wing and a large attached barn. To the rear of the barn are several other large outbuildings. Presently clothed in woodshingle siding, this house's 3-bay main facade exhibits an entrance with heavy, classicized enframements. On the Crescent Street wall of the main block is a polygonal bay and a steeply pitched gable with a round headed attic window (with moldings and "keystone").
Although located relatively close to the town center, this mid 19th c. farm house retains its rural setting, including several late 19th c. outbuildings. Built c. 1840 and enlarged over time, its early occupants were members of the Conant family including Ira Conant. He was born in Bridgewater on January 3, 1827 and was educated at the Academy. At a young age he was a clerk in the stores of Cobb and Sawin and Lewis Holmes. For a time he operated a dry goods store in Attleborough, MA and was later employed in Boston in the hoop skirt business. He was subsequently involved in the manufacture of gossamer rubber goods. Ira Conant purchased this house c. 1865. By 1874/75 his widow was "living at G. Leonards on Pleasant St." By the 1870's G.W. Bassett lived here. He was a farmer. By the 1890's, Edwin S., Arthur F. and Thomas H. Rhoades, farmers, owned this house.