Keith, Philo House
57 Pleasant St
Single Family Dwelling House
Bridgewater Town Center
Massachusetts Historical Commission Report
57 Pleasant St. in part of Bridgewater's fine collection of 18th and 19th century Cape Cod cottages. Its 5-bay main facade exhibits late Federal elements including the front door's multipane sidelights and well crafted moldings as well as the windows' wedge shaped lintels.
This house was built c. 1830-1840 for Philo Keith, foreman at the Bater Hyde Cotton Gin Co. from this enterprise's establishment in 1833 until at least the mid 1870's. Bater Hyde and Co., later The Eagle Cotton Gin Co. manufactured cotton gins and by the 1850's their Eagle gin had "a prominent place among the planters of the south." In addition to the cotton business, this company was also engaged in the manufacture of boxes. During the 1870's Philo W. Keith, farmer, is also listed as an occupant of this house. During the early 1900's Hollis M. Blackstone, superintendent of the State Farm (July 5, 1883-1922) owned this property. He was responsible for the development of the 1890's Alden Square residential development at Titicut.