Leonard, James M. House
44-44R Pleasant St
Greek Revival, Italianate
Single Family Dwelling House
Bridgewater Town Center
Massachusetts Historical Commission Report
Exhibiting characteristics of the Greek Revival and Italianate frame vernacular style, this house is composed of a 2 1/2 story gable roofed main block with a 2-story south ell. The Pleasant Street end wall gable and south wall feature an encircling veranda. 3 tall windows appear on the Pleasant Street facade, while the main entrance is located at the south wall, southeast corner and is enframed by Doric pilasters (fluted) and round headed molding. The veranda exhibits Tuscan columns and a slatwork railing which probably replaced an open porch with champfered posts c. 1900. In general windows are fully enframed and contain 6/6 wood sash. Wide corner and fascia boards appear at the main block's edges.
This house was built between 1852 and 1857 for J.M. Leonard, a station agent for the Old Colony Railroad. By the early 1900's this property was owned by the J.M. Leonard estate.