Hewitt, E. A. House
39 Pleasant St
Single Family Dwelling House
Bridgewater Town Center
Massachusetts Historical Commission Report
#39 Pleasant Street is part of Bridgewater's collection of well-crafted late Italianate houses. Possessing an irregular plan, it rises 2 1/2 stories from a brick basement to a multi-gable roof. Encircling the 3-bay Pleasant St. gable and south wall is a veranda with champfered posts. Three full length windows open on to the veranda on the Pleasant St. gable. The main entrance is located on the south wall which also exhibits a polygonal bay with narrow tripartite windows and a small gable with a steeply pitched roof. In general windows are fully enframed--the attic windows exhibit "keystones."
Built in 1879 for Central Square jeweler and watchmaker E.A. Hewitt, 39 Pleasant Street attests to the longevity of the Italianate style as a popular architectural mode in Bridgewater. By the early 1900's, Hewitt was working as a "jeweler at Brockton" and continued to live at #39 Pleasant Street. Prior to the late 1870's, this house's parcel was in back of Bela Mitchell's house lot—he lived in the Federal house at the corner of South and Pleasant Streets.