Osborne, Willard House
259 Plain St
Greek Revival, Italianate
Single Family Dwelling House
Massachusetts Historical Commission Report
Although a structure is indicated on or near this site on the 1850 map, this house has the appearance of a c. 1330 Greek Revival, Italianate house. Possessing a rectangular, center hall plan, it stands with its 5-bay main facade facing south—3 bay end wall gables face east and west. This house is noteworthy for its classicized entrance enframements, Doric corner boards and cornice headed windows. It rises 1 1/2 stories from a heavy granite block foundation to a gable roof with return eaves.
Situated in the northeastern section of Bridgewater near the East Bridgewater town line, this house was built c. 1850—it apparently replaced an earlier structure belonging to Willard Osborne which is indicated on the 1830 map. Benjamen B. Hayward, mid 19th c. Plain St. neighbor and carpenter, may have been responsible for this house. Milliard Osborne is listed as a farmer in 1870s directories. By the early 1900s A.A. Osborne, shoe maker, owned this property.