Cole, E. House
74 Pearl St
Single Family Dwelling House
Massachusetts Historical Commission Report
#74 Pearl St. is part of Bridgewater's small, well crafted collection of Greek Revival cottages with recessed side porches and steeply pitched end wall gables (other notable examples include—Main St. and—Summer St.). Doric corner boards define its edges and windows are fully enframed and pedimented (with 2/2 wood sash).
Pearl St. was laid out at some point between 1830-1845. #74 Pearl St. first appears on the 1852 atlas labeled "E. Cole". 1840s maps indicate that this house lot was owned by the Eagle Cotton Gin Co.—this company's plant was located on lots to the northeast along the old Colony Railroad tracks. The Eagle Works began operation in 1846 at 100 Pearl St. in a plant formerly occupied by the Bates and Hyde Ginworks. The Eagle Cotton Gin Co.'s machinery was shipped as far away as the South and Russia. By the early 1900s John Murphy, "flagman, Broad St. crossing" lived here.