Stetson, Mary L. House
39 Mount Prospect St
Single Family Dwelling House
Bridgewater Town Center
Massachusetts Historical Commission Report
#39 Mt. Prospect St. is part of Bridgewater Center's collection of wellcrafted late 19th century Italianate residences—here the jerkinhead gable, a roof configuration frequently used for Stick Style houses has been employed.
This house was built c. 1885—Mt. Prospect St., between South and Union St. was relatively slow to develop, despite its proximity to Central Square. During the 1870s all the land on the northeast side by Mt. Prospect was owned by the D. Bryant estate—the southwesterly side of the street developed first—during the 1870s. At some point in the 1890s Mary L. Stetson, widow of industrialist Nahum Stetson purchased this property.