Pratt - Hayden - Washburn - Hildreth House
947 Plymouth St
Single Family Dwelling House
Paper Mill Village, Prattown
Massachusetts Historical Commission Report
This is one of the earliest examples of the Cape Cod cottage in Bridgewater. Its 5 bay x 2 bay main block features an enclosed, projecting center entrance. The front door is flanked by Doric pilasters. Windows contain 12/12 wood sash. In the center of the gable roof is a low, substantial brick chimney.
In 1705, Joseph Pratt purchased a large tract of land bordering what is now the Plymouth-Walnut St.-Mill St. intersection. #947 Mill St. may represent the original Joseph Pratt House. During the early 1800's a Nathaniel Pratt lived here. By the early 1850's this house was owned by an A.W. Hayden. This house is labeled S. Washburn in 1859. By the 1870's, Chelsea Hildreth, machinist—presumably at the nearby Hollingsworth family's paper mill on Plymouth St., at the Town River. The first large scale manufacture of paper began at Pratt Town as early as the 1820's. Hildreths owned this property until at least the early 1900's.