Dean - Sparhawk House
937 Plymouth St
Single Family Dwelling House
Paper Mill Village, Prattown
Massachusetts Historical Commission Report
This is a simple early 19th century, l 1/2 story workers cottage.
This house was built at some point during the first quarter of the 19th century. It is part of Prattown's collection of dwellings related to mills which were once located on the northern banks of the Town River. As early as 1792, the first dam was built on the Town River at Prattown—two years later a grist mill was built in this vicinity. In 1798 a falling mill was built here. The first paper mill in the country was established at Prattown in 1823 by Joseph Hooper and others. This concern passed to George Hooker and Silas Warren in 1830. Presumably #937 was built to house "Artesans who manufactured a superior quality of paper of all grades of finish". During the early 1850's an S. Leonard Jr. lived here. The 1857 map indi.cates a Willard Warren as the house's owner—his widow Elvira owned it in the 1870's. S. Freeman Jordan, machinist, lived here during the early 1900's.