Dearborn, Harrison House
544 Main St
Multiple Family Dwelling House, Single Family Dwelling House
Bridgewater Town Center
Massachusetts Historical Commission Report
This is one of the more substantial Greek Revival houses in Bridgewater. Composed of a 2 1/2 story main block, a 1-story ell projects from its south wall. Situated at its southeast corner is a Tuscan columned verandah—its 3-bay gable end faces the street (exhibiting return eaves). Although its side and upper walls are swathed in synthetic siding, its original flush board materials still cover the ground floor of the front gable. Tall, fully enframed windows open on to the verandah and contain multi-pane sash and original shutters. The south facing front door is flanked by narrow pilasters.
On 8 Sept. 1844, Harrison Dearborn (occupation undertermined) purchased this house lot for $550.00 from Phineas Blake. Blake, along with a T. Graver owned the house next door at 504 Main St. By the 1870's Hervey Josselyn, auctioneer and "dealer in patent rights" owned this house. By the 1890's, Michael Buckley, iron worker, lived here—the Bridgewater Iron Co. was only a short walk from this house off High St. at Stanley.