Leonard, Elijah H. House
524 Main St
Single Family Dwelling House
Bridgewater Town Center
Massachusetts Historical Commission Report
This substantial, L-plan Greek Revival house features an encircling Tuscan columned porch at its southeast corner. Its south facing main entrance is flanked by narrow, multi-pane sidelights and is surrounded by well crafted moldings. It stands with a pedemented gable facing the street—its side wing has distinctive, narrow proportions, windows retain 6/6 sash.
This house was built in 1849—on February 24th of that year Shuball S. Lovell sold this lot to Elijah H. Leonard, farmer. Leonard descendants lived here until at least the
early 1900's—a J.H. Leonard, farmer, is listed here in 1903. This house is integral
to northern Main Street's remarkably intact, pre 1900 street-scape—across the street is the old Episcopal Church cemetery and the site of the 1748 Episcopal Church. To the immediate north is another substantial Greek Revival house (Harrison Dearborn House, 1844)—Main St. was set out from Central Square to Center/High Sts. in 1690, and from there to the W. Bridgewater line in 1726.