Robinson, D. House
420 Main St
Single Family Dwelling House
Bridgewater Town Center
Massachusetts Historical Commission Report
This house is architecturally significant as a relatively substantial example of a Bridgewater Greek Revival house. It is the only house of this style in the town which possesses an encircling, fluted, Tuscan columned verandah. In addition, its 3-bay main facade's front door exhibits elegant, pannelled, Asher Benjamen enframents. Windows exhibit Federal wedge shaped lintels and contain 6/6 wood sash.
This house was built c.1835-45 for members of the Robinson family. The Robinsons are associated with the Bridgewater Iron Co. (formerly Lazell, Perkins Iron Foundry). Several Robinson family members were skilled metal workers. Bridgewater Iron Co. plant was a short walk from the enclave of Robinson and Perkins houses in the vicinity of the Main-High-Center Sts. crossroads. Main St. is a very old road dating to at least 1690—Center and High Sts. are shown on J. E. Crane's "Map of Bridgewater in 1716." A Robinson house apparently predated the present house—an increase Robinson lived on near this site in 1830. By 1850's (and until the 1880's) a Dr. Robinson lived here. By the early 1900's Edwin Josslyn, farmer, owned this house and a large tract which extended all the way back to Center St. (below Aldrich St.).