Howland - Standish House
276 Main St
Gothic Revival, Italianate
Single Family Dwelling House
Bridgewater Town Center
Massachusetts Historical Commission Report
This is the finest example of a Gothic Revival/Italianate cottage in Bridgewater. Possessing a u-shaped plan, its main block is sheathed with flush boards and features a central entrance with a handsome entrance porch (champfered posts, brackets, well-crafted balcony). In the center of the main facade is a steeply pitched and bracketed gable. In general windows are fully enframed and cornice headed. This property retains its side, semi-circular mid-19th c. driveway.
Together with certain landscape features (semi-circular driveway, mature trees) this house provides a glimpse of the home of a mid-19th century Bridgwater carpenter. Built c. 1845, the house was built by Robert Howland, carpenter. During the early 1850's it was owned by Mr. Howland and a Job Standish, mason. This house was associated with Bridgewater building trades as late as the early 1900's—in 1903 Herbert Wadsworth, carpenter, is listed as this house's owner.