Bridgewater Iron Mfg. Company Worker Housing
265 Main St
Single Family Dwelling House, Workers Housing
Bridgewater Town Center
Massachusetts Historical Commission Report
These twin mansard cottages represent a relatively rare architectural style in Bridgewater—few Mansard style houses are located within the town's borders. This style was popular in Boston from c. 1848-1880. #265 and 257 Main Street date to c. 1875 and were built to house Bridgewater Iron Company workers. #265 is the least altered of the two houses, with a heavy, bracketed door hood, double Victorian multi-panel doors and intact slate roof shingles. #265 has a T-shaped plan and #257 has a cross-shaped plan.
These houses were built c. 1875 to house Bridgewater Iron Company workers. This foundry was located further to the northwest on High Street and the banks of the Town River. This company's products included "the shafts of the largest ocean steamers," yellow metal, tubing and horse nails. By the early 1900's, Janus Johnson, mason, lived in #265 and Mrs. Mary E. Johnson owned #257.