Leonard, Samuel House
670 Auburn St
Agricultural, Single Family Dwelling House
Massachusetts Historical Commission Report
This substantial house, together with surrounding fields, provides a glimpse of a late 18th century Bridgewater farm. It possesses a rectangular center hall plan with a 5 bay main facade and wide, 3 bay end wall gables. Due to partial alterations, it is difficult to describe existing entrance treatments. The west wall's entrance features a bracketed Italianate door hood. Windows contain 6/6 wood sash. In the center of the ridge roof is a massive brick chimney.
This house appears on the 1830s map labeled S & L Leonard. Samuel Leonard, presumably a farmer, lived here during the 1850s and 1860s. By the mid 1870s, Janus and Alphonso Stanton, laborer and farmer, respectively, owned this property. Further research is needed on this house's late 18th, early 19th c. history. J.E.Crane's map of Bridgewater in 1716 indicates that Auburn St. terminated just beyond the western arm of Curve St but a house belonging to an Eleazer Alden was located on or near the site of Samuel Leonard's House.
Auburn St. was extended to this house at some point in the mid-late