Mitchell, Ed House
249 Main St
Single Family Dwelling House
Bridgewater Town Center
Massachusetts Historical Commission Report
Although altered by the application of alumninum siding, this house retains its original form and handsome entrance treatments. Built c. 1780, its 5 bay main facade is symmetrically arranged around a center entrance which is flanked by tapered Doric pilasters and surmounted by a semi-circular fanlight.
Built c. 1780, this house may be the house described in Clara E. Crane's "Bridgewater in 1835". She notes that "farther up Main St. where is now an open field stood the house of the widow Ed. Mitchel, which was moved across the street some years since by James Hunter". Although James Hunter was living here during the 1890's and early 1900's, a house with the present U-shaped configuration appears on the 1873 map and 1879 atlas labeled L. W. Hayden and Mrs. S. Hayden. Lewis W. Hayden was a machinist. James W. Hunter was a foreman machinist at "B. F., M&R.M. Co.".