Crooker - Dunphy House
225 Main St
Single Family Dwelling House
Bridgewater Town Center
Massachusetts Historical Commission Report
For its small scale, this one and three quarters story Greek Revival cottage is architecturally ambitious—it is one of the very few Greek Revival houses in Bridgewater which feature a recessed entrance porch at the street gable. Possessing a rectangular plan, it stands with its narrow steeply pitched, 3-bay gable to Main Street. The south wall's recessed porch exhibits a floor bordered by massive, notched granite blocks. Fluted Doric columns and Doric corner boards at the house's edges support an entablature-like portion of the side or fascia board beneath the eaves. The main entrance exhibits narrow sidelights and a crisp enframement. Three bays to the east of the porch is a secondary entrance with classicized surrounds. Projecting from the center of the roof's south slope is a pedimented dormer.
This house is an integral component within the collection of mid-19th century houses standing in the vicinity of the Main and Oak Streets intersection. It was built c. 1845 for a member of the Crookery family. During the 1830's a "Master Crookery," superintendant of the first cut nail factory in the area, resided in an undetermined house north of Oak Street. By the 1870s Hiram Dunphy, gin saw maker, liver here. He was probably employed by the nearby (Pearl St.) Eagle Cotton Gin Co (formerly Bater, Hyde and Co.). By the early 1900s an N. Dunphy is listed here.