Perkins, Henry House
201 Main St
Single Family Dwelling House
Bridgewater Town Center
Massachusetts Historical Commission Report
This Greek Revival house, along with its cupola topped barn and unspoiled setting, provides a glimpse of the home of a well-to-do mid-19th c. Bridgewater iron foundry owner. Possessing an irregular plan, its main block and side ells are crowned with pedimented gable roofs. On the ground floor of the 3-bay main facade are flush boards, full length 15 pane windows and a front door with classicized enframements. The front porch features fluted Doric columns. In general windows contain 6/6 wood sash. This house rests on a heavy granite block foundation.
Although a structure is indicated on this site in 1830, the house's present appearance is that of a substantial, late 1840's Greek Revival residence. By the early 1850's it was owned by Henry Perkins. He was the owner of the Henry Perkins Iron Foundry on Broad Street adjacent to the old Colony rail road tracks. He established this business c. 1850 in connection with the Eagle Cotton Gin Company's works. The Perkins' company manufactured "the finest piano frames." By the early 1900's the widow of Henry Perkins lived here. This house's setting is particularly noteworthy. The house is situated on a sharp diagonal—the sweeping curve of Oak and Main Streets is accentuated by a picket fence which encloses an ample front yard. To the rear of the house, close to the rubble stone retaining wall bordering Oak Street, is a mid-19th c. cupola topped stable.