Johnson, J. T. House
168 Main St
Single Family Dwelling House
Bridgewater Town Center
Massachusetts Historical Commission Report
Architecturally this house is of interest as a rare example of a Queen Anne/Colonial Revival house in Bridgewater. Little in the way of residential development occurred in or near Bridgewater Center after c. 1870—with a few notable exceptions, e.g. Mt. Prospect, Maple and Stetson Sts.
This house was built in 1890-1893 for John J. Johnson, florist. He is first listed here in 1894/95—the directory of that year features an advertisement for Johnson's business which reads "J. J. Johnson, Wholesale and Retail Florist, Flowers and Designs for Weddings, Receptions, Funerals, etc." To the rear of this house were at least three large greenhouses or "conservatories".