Lazell - Revere House
45 Main St
Single Family Dwelling House
Bridgewater Town Center
Massachusetts Historical Commission Report
This house ranks among the finest examples of the Federal style in Bridgewater. It is composed of a 5-bay x 2-bay main block, 2-story rear wing (containing an old kitchen) and a breezeway/garage. Particularly noteworthy is the center entrance's enframements, including sidelights and an elegant elliptical fanlight, and the ornamental freize below the hip roof. This rreize is repeated on the inside in the hallway cornice.
Traditionally dated c. 1790, this house may have been built as late as 1816. Deeds indicate that in 1790 Nathan Lazell purchased this lot from Seth Alden. In 1816 Caroline Lazell married Paul Revere of Boston, a grandson and namesake of the great patriot and silversmith. Descendants of Paul and Caroline Revere owned this house until 1950. In 1950 the house was left to the Masonic Lodge of Bridgewater. Interestingly Col. Paul Revere of Revolutionary war fame, as Grandmaster of Masons, granted a charter to the Fellowship Lodge, A. F. and A. M. of Bridgewater in 1797. Wine goblets made by Revere were presented to the Bridgewater Masons and remain in their possession. In 1958 Mr. and Mrs. Harold Estabrook purchased this property and rebuilt the main entrance. The Estabrook renovations were conducted by the late craftsman Samuel Alfieri. (The house was "restored" in 1938 under the direction of the architect Royal Barry Wills.) It should be noted that Nathan Lazell, along with his brother Major Isaac Lazell, operated a store at what was later to become the Town Center during the late 18th-19th c.