Mitchell, Simon W. House
513 Auburn St
Agricultural, Single Family Dwelling House
Massachusetts Historical Commission Report
This is a well preserved example of a common southeastern Massachusetts type house which persisted from the Colonial period into the mid-19th c.—the Cape Cod cottage. It is composed of a 1 1/2 story rectangular center hall plan main block and is enclosed by a gable roof. Its 5 bay main facade exhibits a handsome central entrance with sidelights, simple pilasters and a heavy entablature with narrow molding banding. In general, windows contain 12/12 sash. This house is sheathed with clapboards. Brick chimneys appear at either end of the ridge roof.
Although this house displays an 1832 date plaque, the 1830 map indicates a
house labeled S.W. Mitchell on this site. The 1874/75 directory lists a Simeon W. Mitchell (no occupation, presumably a farmer) as living in the "Benson neighborhood." By 1903 a Leonard Mitchell, farmer, lived here. The 1903 atlas shows an ell and attached barn to the rear of this house. To the east of this property flows Spring Brook. Further research is needed to determine if this is the same Simeon Mitchell who was the proprietor of the Hyland House which faced the common at Bridgewater Center.