28 Central Sq
Federal, Greek Revival
Hotel or Inn
Bridgewater Town Center
Massachusetts Historical Commission Report
The Bridgewater Hotel was a substantial Federal / Greek Revival 3 story frame structure with a 2 tier front porch, large 2 story rear wing and a wide pedimented attic. This site is currently occupied by a modern brick, glass and metal ARCO gas station and paved driveway areas.
During the 19th century the Bridgewater Hotel was an important travelers' "stop-over" on the Fall River - Boston Road. For many years it was a significant focus of local social and business activities. In 1884 it was noted that "the stagelines that centered here (Bridgewater) brought
a goodly number of passengers and the house had a lively business." The "front part" of the old Hotel was moved from East Bridgewater to Bridgewater's Central Square in 1827. It was formerly the house of "Minister Angier." Originally the Hotel was a 2 story house with a flat roof and no piazza. The rear wing's second floor hall "was used for the largest balls which were held, and the racking of the "Spring floor" could be heard all over thevillage when it was danced on." The first landlord was Captain Abram Pratt. In 1846, the year the Old Colony Railroad came to Bridgewater, a 3rd floor was added to the Hotel. By the late 19th century the Hotel was called "The Hyland House." Automobile and bus transportation eventually reduced travel time and eliminated Bridgewater's need for a large lodging house. The hotel was destroyed in the late 1930s.