35-37 Central Sq
Bridgewater Town Center
Massachusetts Historical Commission Report
This is a frame 1 1/2 story commercial structure characterized by modern brick and metal storefront treatments, a large sign which reads "Liquor Mart" a tall, scalloped shingle-covered "parapet." In the center of the parapet is a pointed arch. To therear of this building is a 20th c. concrete block addition. Its parapet's cornice exhibits brackets.
Since at least the 1850's a commercial building has occupied this site. In 1852 the building on this site was known as Lewis Holmes' store. The present structure dates to c. 1875. During the 1880's, this building contained a millinery shop and dry goods store. By 1896 a tailor and a grocer conducted business on these premises. During the early 1900's the prominent Bridgewater merchant, A.J. Elwell, was this property's owner—Elwell's building contained a fruit store, restaurant and millinery shop.