31 Central Sq
Architecture, Social History
Bridgewater Town Center
Massachusetts Historical Commission Report
This is a modern brick Colonial Revival Masonic lodge. Its salient features include a projecting, pedimented portico with 4 "columns", central double doors with three double windows on the 2nd floor. Masonic emblems appear in the center of the pediment. Its roof is crowned by a diminutive cupola.
Built in 1967, The Fellowship Lodge occupies land that was part of Lewis Holmes' commercial property during the mid-19th century. Holmes' store apparently covered all or most of the present lodge's lot. A native of Plymouth, MA (born September 17, 1806), Holmes settled in Bridgewater in 1834. For 25 years he was "in trade as a merchant in the village." Active in state and local politics, he was elected town clerk and treasurer (1847-185 and 1859-1873). Appointed postmaster in 1862, he was a member of the legislature in 1873. He was a justice of the peace from 1862 until the 1880's. In addition, he was active in the early anti-slavery cause (1839).