Grove Street Teachers' Training School
115 Grove St
College or University
Bridgewater Town Center, Bridgewater State University
Massachusetts Historical Commission Report
The Grove Street Training School is an elegant example of a 1920s NeoGeorgian college building. Possessing a rectangular plan, it rises 2 stories to a low slate shingle covered gable roof. Constructed of red brick, its main facade exhibits a pedimented central pavilion with flanking wings. Planar wall surfaces are pierced by tall, multi-pane windows with granite sills and lintels. The main entrance is noteworthy for its attenuated entrance elements and semi-circular fan light. The pedimented central pavilion's attic exhibits a lunette window.
Along with Boyden Hall and the east wing of Tillingast Hall, the Grove Street Training School building (later Burnell School) was built in 1925-26 and was a part of the building campaign which replaced Normal school buildings destroyed in the fire of December 10, 1924. It was designed by the prominent Boston architect Guy Lowell (see Boyden Hall form). Its purpose was to house a teacher's training lab for juniors and was one of the elementary schools of the town of Bridgewater. The Normal school determined its educational policies. It also contained a gymnasium and had playground facilities. The state contributed $606,566 for the training school and Boyden Hall's construction. The town added $36,500 towards the Training School's construction and furnishing. Since 1979 the Training School has been located in the new Martha Burnell campus school/academic classroom complex on Burrill Ave on the northeast portion of Bridgewater State College campus. The Grove Street Training School currently contains classrooms and offices (counseling center, bus services, Board of Trustees, etc.).