Great Woods School
302 Titicut St
Altered beyond recognition, Colonial, Italianate
Apartment House, Public School
Aldenville, Alden Square
Massachusetts Historical Commission Report
Built in 1876 and enlarged in 1900, the Blackstone School was moved to its present site in 1895. Sheathed in clapboards and wood shingles (end wall gables), this rectangular plan, 1 1/2 story structure's 11-bay main facade is dominated by a
wide, projecting central gambrel gable. The presence of the gambrel produces a central pavilion with flanking wings effect. The overhanging corners of the gambrel are supported by posts. Below the gambrel is an entrance porch with
stone steps, rubble stone piers and paired columns which support an entablature and flat roof. In general, windows contain 6/6 wood sash. The Blackstone School is a key component of Alden Square's late 19th century streetscape.
Over time the Blackstone School has been known as the Great Woods School and District No. 12 School. It was built in 1876 on Titicut St. to serve the families of attendants at the State Almshouse, later State Workhouse and Massachusetts Correction Institute. The Blackstone School was named in honor of Hollis M. Blackstone, superintendant o f the State Farm from 1883-1922. He had "established a fine reputation" in the city of Boston's institutional system at Dear Island and Roxbury Highlands during the 1870s. Mr. Blackstone was responsible for moving the school to its present site in 1895 "without expense to the town." Increased enrollment necessitated expansion of the school in 1900. In June, 1943, the school was closed. It was sold that year for $3,650. The Blackstone School presently houses four apartments.