40 Orange St
Greek Revival, Italianate
Architecture, Community Planning, Education
Community Center, Public School
Paper Mill Village, Prattown
Massachusetts Historical Commission Report
This is a well preserved example of a mid 19th century Bridgewater school. Rising 1 1/2 stories to a gable roof, this boxy structure features an enclosed, projecting entry and a 1 story shed addition on its south wall. Its edges are defined by narrow corner boards. Windows are fully enframed, cornice headed and contain 12/12 wood sash.
The Pratt School, or District School #2 is part of Bridgewater's remarkable collection of mid-late 19th c. school buildings. As early as 1804 the town voted to establish District #2 School (later known as the Pratt school) in the North District on Orange Street. The 1830 map indicates a school on this site and in 1847 the school was housed in a 23x16 building. The present schoolhouse dates to 1855. Its student body was drawn from families associated with Pratt town's papermill and farms. The school closed in 1935 and has served as a community center since 1936. The Pratt town community is responsible for its upkeep. As of 1976 the club had 80 members.